Question: 21/Male discoloration of skin around neck/collar bone region

oisa - Wed May 02, 2007 1:14 am

I am a 21 year old male in good health to my knowledge. I am caucasion but of darker complexion since one of my distant father's side ancestors was african. recently I have noticed a discoloration of the skin at the base of my neck and collar bone region.

My chest is much lighter than my neck as i do not tan at all.
The coloration does not simply fade, it is blotchy and irregular.

Could this be the result of pigmentation differences? A lack of sun exposure to my chest? Or perhaps something more serious?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 3:41 pm

User avatar There are many possible causes of pigmentation change in the skin, especially on the neck. It may be an issue of differences in sun exposure or possibly a skin condition such as pityriasis alba (essentially very mild eczema) that causes lightening of skin patches. It may also be a condition known as acanthosis nigricans that causes darkening of the skin, especially on the neck.

Generally, the cause is easily diagnosed by direct examination. I would recommend you see your doctor to be evaluated.

|