News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Discolouration, tip of the nose

Samedy - Thu May 17, 2007 11:26 am

On the tip of my nose, for the last 3 months, there has been a ring of discolouration.

The texture of the skin is the same. The skin colour almost looks the same around it, there is just a little bit of discolouration on that part (about the size of two pencil erasers). It looks like someone took a fine pencil and circled that area (the area is well defined) and made everything within that circle one shade different than the rest of the skin. I would almost describe it as looking like a 'water-mark' on the tip of the nose.

At first I thought it was just because of a sunburn.. But as I've said, it's been there for about 3 months, with no change.

Anyone know what this might be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:49 am

User avatar Off hand, there may be a few possibilities. First, it may be an area of hyperpigmentation that often follows inflammation (such as may be caused by a sunburn or other irritation). It can take several months for this to fade.

It may also be an area where the capillaries are closer to the skin. Another possibility would be a skin condition such as eczema.

I would suggest you see your primary doctor or possibly a dermatologist for a formal diagnosis and treatment plan.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here