Question: rapidly spreading red spots

dnflgmn - Thu May 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Background:
1) 19 years old
2) female
6) got a rabies shot yesterday (left shoulder) and a week ago got tetanus diptheria pertussis (left shoulder), typhoid fever (left shoulder), yellow fever (right shoulder), and rabies (right shoulder) shots. I am also taking doxycycline for acne and as an antimalarial medication.

Today I was out in the sun a bit and after coming inside I noticed my left shoulder looked a little red/burnt. I also noticed that reddish-pinkish spots were present, most densely around the shoulder and then spreading out across my chest and back towards my right shoulder. That was about 3 hours ago; now I've noticed they have spread to my right arm (all the way to my hand and wrist) and on both my legs. The spots are not very dense/ they are spaced out, and range in size from the size of the head of a pin at the smallest to about 1 cm in diameter at the largest. Most, especially the new ones on my legs, seem to have a white ring around them (I'm caucasian/fair-skinned so it's not a big contrast to my natural skin tone but it is noticeable). The bumps are not itchy or painful.
I know doxycycline can cause sun-sensitivity but I've taken it for a few years and haven't had any problems before. I was wondering if you had any ideas of what the spots could be, any way I could stop them, and if they might have anything to do with my recent vaccinations. Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 25, 2007 1:08 am

User avatar It doesn't sound like a reaction from the doxycycline; however, a vaccine reaction is possible (even probable). I am not familiar with the side effects of most of the vaccines you received since they are not routinely given in the US (unless you are visiting an endemic area).

If the spots continue to worsen or are not getting better in the next day or two I would recommend you follow up with your doctor.

|