News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: A ring around my mouth

Blueskyes - Wed May 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Around my mouth the skin is slightly discolored. Almost a orangeish type of color. Its not very noticable unless your a few feet away from me, but It bothers me so much. Any idea what it is or how to get rid of it?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 pm

User avatar Dear Blueskies:

How very odd...

Are you a vegetarian whose favorite vegetables are high in beta-carotene (the ones that are orange/yellow)?
 Maya1986 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:30 am

I have been vegetarian for like 7 years and get blood results every year,a nd they are always perfectly fine, also bilirubine level is good (except hormones abit low).
But my skin turns yellow often to, only my skin, not my eyes. and its a bit more around the joints, like on my hands.
don't know what it is, I don't eat much carrots, maybe 3 times a week half a carrot (because i mostly eat a lot of different vegetables a day, I make mixed dishes a lot).
I do eat a lot of vegetables thou :P like a kg a day. broccoli almost every day, same with zucchini
Also pears and apples, sharon fruit, are my favourites
Leek like 3 times a week also
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:19 pm

User avatar Hello,The condition of carotenemia is in which you get deposition of carotene mostly in areas where you sweat.Typically the sclera of the eyes are spared which are the sites for jaundice.This occurs due to excess Bcarotene in the diet and can be contibuted by other fruits and milk.There is other type of carotenemis due to disease conditions like diabetes,liver diseases,Typically these conditions cause itching.There is no need for treatment of diet induced carotenemias, except reassurance.There are no complications and dietary alteration is the one way to get over this.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here