Question: Body piercing and keloid scaring

pcdthebum - Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:44 am

Hi, I have been interested in getting some body piercings, but I know from previous procedures (removing moles) that I have some predilection for keloids. My mom also is prone to keloids, and she has ear piercings without any problems. The place I want to get the piercing has had a significant amount of skin removed at a very early age ( I am a male) without any problem. Would it be a reasonable decision to get this piercing?
Thank you very much
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 am

User avatar Dear pcdthebum
If as you say you have already noted you have a predilection to forming keloids, then you need to consider the "russian roulette" nature of your decision regarding the piercings. Keloids are formed when the body's attempt to repair an injury "keeps on keeping on" after the original injury site has healed. Some of these keloids are quite impressive in size and can be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to eliminate. At the same time, if the part of the body you are contemplating piercing already has not shown such a predilection, well, the gamble is yours.
I would advise however, if you decide to risk it, to make sure you only hire a bonafide piercing professional who uses single use only piercing equipment or who is prepared to show that ALL the equipment that touches you has been sterilized. The risk of infection by contaminated equipment or needles is definitely not worth it, you could end up with a worse scenario than only a keloid!

|