News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Help New Scars to Fade?

forgetthealamo - Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:29 am

I am a recovering cutter (22 year old lady). I have some embarrassing scars on my legs from needing stitches (from 8 and 10 months ago). Some are still very pink and puffy, but for the most part starting to fade. Lately my scars have been pretty itchy. Is this a good sign? I have recently gained some weight. Could that have anything to do with the itch? How does weight gain and loss affect healing scars? I have been putting cocoa butter lotion on my legs for years. It has helped the smaller scars. Is there anything I can do to quicken the fading? Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:31 pm

User avatar Some people report results with vitamin E capsules. You squeeze it onto the scar twice a day. Curad also makes a Scar Therapy Cosmetic Pad. People have also had good results with this one. Use as directed. I have also heard of one called Elastoplast. You could ask your pharmacy if they have any of these or could suggest an alternative (location may prevent you from finding some specific brands).

Time is the best healer of scars for most people so try to be patient with this. In the meantime you can use some concealer makeup to help hide the damage. Use a tone close to your own coloring. Some people use a concealer with either a green or yellow base to counteract the redness (opposite on the color wheel). You may also find that a chemical sunless tanning lotion could help even out the skin tones a bit.

Good luck.
Good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here