News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: koebner phenomenon??

KNS - Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:55 am

Hi,

I am a 27 year old woman with a (sometimes itchy) rash on my face. It started as a stripe of dots (like pimples without heads) between my eyebrows but has now spread all over my forehead, under my chin, along the edge of my face and over my eyebrows. I originally thought I had a scratch between my eyebrows but then the bumps never went away (I had just the stripe for a couple of years and then it started to spread). The next big ones came in the middle of my forehead near the hairline after I squeezed a pimple there. I have had it for at least a couple of years (although a scar under my lip has never healed properly and has many of the dots around it - that is from at least 5 years ago).

I tried a topical cream called "fucidian" ?? for a month with no improvement. The last GP I saw thought is was koebner phenomenon. I was disappointed by the diagnosis though it seemed quite possible, but recently it has gotten a lot worse and I am hoping for a more favourable diagnosis. The GP prescribed a strong topical steriod to be used for 1 week a month. The first month it seemed slightly better but now seems to make no difference (or may be making it worse?).

I do have a history of psoriasis in my family and I also have mild vitiligo myself. The vitaligo is not near the rash and most of the bumps don't seem to be linked to skin trauma.

A friend commented that it looked like a bacterial rash she had for a few years before being prescribed oral antibiodics that cleared it up.

I can email a photo of my skin if you would like - but can't figure out how to insert an image here - sorry.

Please help!
Thank you very much!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:55 pm

User avatar I'm afraid I would also lean towards the thought of Koebner's phenomenon, particularly since you have psoriasis - it is associated with psoriasis vulgaris, particularly when there has been skin trauma. I realize you have also experienced it without trauma but it still sounds very suspicious for this to me. There is a good photo at this site you could compare to. http://www.pediatrics.wisc.edu/educatio ... ebner.html

Always be gentle to your skin, avoid scrubbing, scraping, picking, squeezing, sunburn, etc. and try to keep your skin well hydrated with moisturizers, long water soaks, etc.

Your best course of action would likely be to see a dermatologist for evaluation and most accurate diagnosis.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here