Question: Brown splotch in groin-tinea versicolor?

kellysmum2002 - Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:26 pm

I am a 43 year old Caucasian female on Ortho Tricyclen, Metformin (for PCOS and pre-diabetes), Paxil, and Synthroid (for hypothyroidism). Seemingly overnight, I developed a dime-sized, round patch of brown skin at the top of my right inner thigh, high up near my groin area. It does not itch and does not appear to be getting larger. It is not scaly, but it does look rather dry. Could someone please tell me what this strange patch of skin could possibly be? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:50 pm

User avatar Hi Kellysmum2002,

What you are describing may be tinea versicolor. It may also be an area of seborrheic keratosis.

Tinea versicolor can be difficult to treat and can take a while to clear up.

I would suggest that you see your doctor for an evaluation. If there is uncertainty about it being tinea versicolor a scraping can be examined under the microscope to see if fungal elements are seen.