News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin Fungus?

mrjbb - Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Hello. I am a 32 year old caucasian female. I believe I am having a problem with skin fungus. This has been going on now for a few years - on and off. I have been treating the problem with over the counter antifungals which seem to work but the problem will eventually reoccur. It started approx. 5 years ago when I started tanning regularly - I have naturally very fair skin. Note, I have not tanned in over 1 year. I know that I had tinea versicolor on my back because after the red rash disappeared I was left with white spots, which now too have gone. At this point in time I am getting spots that range in size from pencil point to not quite dime size - 3 on my chest, 1 on upper arm, 2 on my back and 4 sort of between my butt crack (sorry - tmo!). I have had blood work done yearly for the past couple of years and everything seems good;
June 2006:
WBC - 8700 (N-5133, L-2784, M-609, E-174, B-0)
RBC - 4.53
HB - 14.9
HCT - 42.5
MCV - 93.7
MCH - 32.9
MCHC - 351
RDW - 13.8
PLT - 233
B-12 - 240
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL - 122 (H-42 L - 66 T-70)
June 2007:
WBC - 8100 (N-4293, L-3078, M-486, E-243, B-0)
RBC - 4.65
HB - 14.7
HCT - 42.4
MCV - 91.3
MCH - 31.7
MCHC - 347
RDW - 13.5
PLT - 272
B-12 - 700 (Took supplements under tongue)
VIT. D - LOW (Not sure of numbers)
Why am I having a problem with skin fungus when I feel good and all blood work seems to say I am good? Is this still tinea versicolor or some other form of tinea? Do you see anything alarming with my bloodwork? Thanks so much for your help. I guess my next step needs to be seeing a derm. Oh, kinda off topic but do you see a problem with my low total cholesterol? My doc says no because HDL, LDL, and Trigs are good and in range. He would not even test my cholesterol this year - said it was not necesary. It seems rather low to me - is this a problem?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:17 pm

User avatar I agree that you probably don't need to worry about low cholesterol and your doctor has more information about your situation than I do so if there were concerns specific to you he would have addressed them. There could be a few low cholesterol is a concern when a person has cancer, but otherwise it tends to be good when it is low.

I can't say why you are susceptible to this fungus since it is often present in most people. For some reason you are one of those who gets this condition. It is not serious, life-threatening or permanent, though it does tend to recur a while after treatment, requiring additional medications. Fungus infections do not necessarily show up on the blood tests. Medicine would be much easier if everything was apparent with a basic blood draw and lab testing. Unfortunately, while very helpful with many conditions, there are some that require other types of examinations to diagnose.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here