Question: Colored Sweat

jenkd - Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but I didn't know where else to try. My husband and I eat the same foods, sleep on the same sheets, laundry done the same, but the pillow and sheets on his side of the bed turn yellow-orange (especially the pillow) and to a great extent.

1. 34
2. Male
3. Nothing other than asthma
4. None
5. Mom has diabetes.
6. Asthma inhaler

The only thing I can think that might relate is the fact that he has in the past drank a lot of alcohol, smoked for 15 years (starting at the age of 14 or so) and dabbled in a bit of other 'stuff.' However, he has been out of all of that for at least four years now. Completely clean.

Thanks!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:28 pm

User avatar Hi Jenkd,

There are a few possible reasons for this. There is a rare (very rare) condition known as Chromhidrosis where the sweat glands produce a compound known as lipfuscin. This molecule is a pigment molecule that can be yellow, green, brown, black or a mix of these.

More commonly, pigmented sweat occurs due to a reaction of the normally clear sweat with something on the skin causing the color change. This is referred to as Pseudochromhidrosis.

I would suggest that your husband see a dermatologist to investigate this more.

|