Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Brown spots on penis

 kandy - Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:53 pm

My husband has brown spots that look like large flat moles/birthmarks on the tip of his penis. He says he's had them since he was a child. They are dark brown, and they are not raised or anything, so they look like they're part of his penis. What is that?

Also, I have acne that come on my upper back and chest all the time. They go away but they SCAR, and more keep coming. What can I take to stop the pimples and to get rid of my preexisting scars? My doc said that dermabrasion on my back will help, is that true?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:27 am

User avatar Hi Kandy,

Regarding your husband's issue, these spots are most likely normal areas of increased pigmentation. As long as they are not changing nothing really needs to be done. If the areas begin to change in size or color they should be evaluated.

Regarding your acne, I would recommend you try some of the over-the-counter treatments with Benzyol Peroxide. This is sometimes more effective than the salicylic acid in other products. If this is not effective there are some prescription strength topical and oral treatments that can help.

I am not particularly familiar with dermabrasion so I cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us