Question: Insect bites that haven't been identified

lhamilt - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:11 am

About one week ago I noticed some red bumps, very small, covering my breasts, a few on my torso, and a couple scattered on my leg and arms. I was concerned b/c I saw some hyperpigmented spots, and saw that one of the red bumps was getting to that point. In short, I think that the bites have some kind of life cycle:

1 - Red flat bump
2 - Dark red bump
3 - Skin hardens a little bit, like it is a scab
4 - Full blown scab and a circle of dead skin around the scab
5 - Hyperpigmented area

The bumps do not itch. I have noticed that the majority of them are on the front of my body (note, I am a stomach sleeper). I got squeezed into the schedule of a dermatologist 1 day later. He gave me antibiotics and eurax cream. I, totally freaked out by the idea of bed bugs, bought a new mattress and bedding. My concern is that he said that most people respond to all bug bites the same. But that's not true for me, the way I respond to a mosquito and a chigger are totally different. But I have NEVER had a bite that resulted in scabbing and hyperpigmentation. He says that the reason the hyperpigmenting is happening is b/c the bites are getting infected. But how can I be sure, maybe that's just he life cycle of the bite. I am taking the antibiotics, but they wreak (sp) havoc on my stomach so I have to take them with a full meal; so I'm not sure if that is watering down their potency.

Sorry for the long post, I am just completely confused by these bites. I've never had them before, and am sad by the fact they are going to leave dark spots all over my body. The dermotologist did give me some "bleaching cream" for after I'm done with my eurax and antibiotic treatment. He says there is no way to identify the bite type unless 1 - we had the actual bug, and/or 2 - a biopsy was performed.

I just want to know if this is standard protocol if someone comes to the Dr. w/ bites. And is it worth getting a 2nd opinion.

Thanks,
lhamilt
 lhamilt - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:40 am

As I have been thinking about it further, b/c these bites don't itch, and they are spreading, I'm starting to think that it's more of a rash.
 mcmullen - Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm no doctor, but while looking for an answer about my problem, i stumbled across bed bug bites. the symptoms i read about are pretty close to the ones you described so maybe you should check it out.

|