Question: Inflamed Hair Follicles

EdwardR14 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Hello my name is Marcos Lenaz I am a 17 year old Male. I have many small red bumps at the back of my head, within the hair and above the hairline. They are always there. I usually get a high fade haircut and the razor always ends up irritating the bumps and sometimes making them bleed. I hate them so much they are very visible and sometimes red and sometimes not so. What can i do or change? I use normal shampoo no conditioner. Please and thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:32 pm

User avatar Hi EdwardR14,

You may have ingrown hairs. These can occur when the hair is cut below the skin, as can happen when getting a shave.

The best way to treat this really is to try to prevent it. This involves not cutting the hair quite as close. When they do occur, the hair can sometimes be removed with fine tweezers. It can also help to use an exfoliant to try to remove the skin layer trapping the hair.

If the problem is persistent you may want to see a dermatologist for an evaluation.

|