Question: Shingles

VictoriaCalder - Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 am

My Dad is aged 79 and has got shingles. As it is a Sunday I have been looking on the internet for treatment (he will go to the Doctors first thing Monday morning). The site I looked at recommends he takes antihistamine (medication for allergies, inc. hayfever - just in case you call it something else in the US!). Just want to know if he can take this as his current medication is :

2mg 1 daily perindopril tert-butylamine salt (Coversyl) for his heart;

50mg 2 daily lamotrigine for epilepsy; and

75mg of asprin.

Be grateful for a reply asap.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:59 pm

User avatar Here are the general categories of drugs that might interfere with antihistamines:
* sedatives or tranquilizers
* a prescription drug for high blood pressure or depression
Ask a doctor before use if he has:
* glaucoma or difficulty in urination due to an enlarged prostate gland
* breathing problems, such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis, or asthma
Avoid:
* alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
* avoid alcoholic beverages
I see no known adverse reaction to the lamotrigine when I did a search for that information. I was not able to locate the heart medication by the name you have so it is probably not available in the U.S. Perhaps your pharmacist could check that one against antihistamines for any possible adverse effects by combining. You might find a pharmacist on Sunday and a local one would be able to find that particular drug.

My gut feeling is that he will be fine to take the antihistamine unless the hear medication is for blood pressure; then it could fall in the category listed above.

|