News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Itching Legs. Cured?

sam12345 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:04 pm

I was diagnosed with Scabies over a month ago. I had symptoms of scabies between my fingers and a few other places, but the vast majority of the itching was on my shins. I had 3 treatments and as far as I know has gone away, if I even had it to begin with. The day after my last treatment with permethrin the itchy bumps I had on my legs looked a little different. They look like bug bites as they did before, but just different. Some of them are a little bigger and sometimes have a white head in the center. A few of them hurt if I press them hard. They never went away, and it's been about 2 weeks since my last treatment. My legs still itch, but nothing like when I had scabies. Could I have something else?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

User avatar I hope your providers explained to you about the need for treating all clothing, towels and bedding to avoid reinfestation. These should be thoroughly laundered once all those with scabies begin their treatment. Use hot water over 120o F. You may wish to include Borax in the wash.

As an ongoing prevention, use hot water to wash all linens such as towels, bedding. Regularly changing bedding, towels and underwear can also help. Regular use of a sauna can also help prevent this problem. The heat can help kill these little mites.

Having been treated once does not prevent future outbreaks or reinfestation so you may wish to return to your doctor to be sure the infestation has been eliminated.

Good luck with this very frustrating problem.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here