Question: small bumps on scrotum

andyQ - Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Hello, I am a 23 year old male. (No significant diagnoses, no surgeries, no current medications.)

In college I noticed a number of small (approx 1-4 mm) red bumps appear on my scrotum. I did not have these checked out immediately for whatever reason (embarassment most likely). However, since then I have had a number of physicals.

After one physical, while the nurse practitioner was writing up his notes, I mentioned to him that I was curious about the presence of those bumps. He said that it was normal and not to worry about it, he did not examine them further. It is now probably about 4 years since I initially noticed them. They have not gone away... they are in small localized areas and not all over... only on scrotum, not on penis or surrounding area. There is no itching or pain.

It is approximately a year or so since the aforementioned physical. So I am hoping to find out if these are indeed normal or if they are a sign of infection etc.

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:47 pm

User avatar Hi AndyQ,

What you are seeing may be some hair follicles that have capillaries near the skin giving the red color. If this is the case there is nothing to worry about.

Even if this isn't what is going on, the fact that they haven't changed in 4 years is very reassuring that nothing serious is going on.

Based on what you've told me I would tend to agree with your nurse practitioner.

|