Question: Stretch Marks?

stjimmy - Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Male/19

I have these lines on my arms that I think are stretch marks. They started up at my shoulders and very slowly--over 5-6 years--made their way down my inner upper arms...on both sides. It has gone so far that they are just passing my inner elbows. They are white. They seem reluctant to stop. I am a little overweight, but not too much. I am very self conscious of these marks. Through research, I found a condition called Cushing's syndrome and am thinking I might have that.
What are they? Please Help! Thank you so much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:16 am

User avatar Hi Stjimmy,

These may be stretch marks although it would seem unusual for them to develop without significant stretching of the skin. Occasionally they can develop with significant muscle building but usually even this doesn't cause them. Unfortunately, I really can't come up with much that would resemble stretch marks.

Cushing's syndrome is a condition where there is excess steroid being produced by the body. The classic description of this condition is that the person develops a rounded face and a hump on the back of the neck along with significant weight gain.

I would recommend you see a doctor to have this evaluated and to see if further work up for Cushings syndrome is indicated.

penguin5959 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:02 am

Male 19, overweight but working towards a goal weight.

I have been overweight for some time but I am working hard now that I am in college to shed the extra weight. I have stretch marks all over my stomach and chest area. One of these stretch marks, which was a very dark purpleish color massed together one day sort of like a pimple or acne does and popped, causing it to bleed. It was located on my chest. Now, the skin has not grown back and although I bandaged it, everytime I check on it, it has dried blood over it and it pops again. When there is no more bleeding, it is just a small, one to 2 centimeter hole, around one cemeter deep that causes pain if touched. What is going on? Thank you.

|