News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Crawling sensation

skittles555 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:53 am

I have a crawling sensation all over my arms and back. I don't really notice it until I put on a shirt, even worse when I put on a long sleeved sweater. I don't see any bugs, but every now and then there's the tiniest bite and it doesn't itch at all...so maybe these are just random insect bites that I'm associating with the crawling sensation. It's been at this for more than 2 weeks now and I'm hesitant to get myself to a doctor b/c my health insurance is non existent.

Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:49 am

User avatar Hi Skittles555,

There are actually a number of possible causes for the sensation of skin crawling. It may actually be bug bites but this is probably less likely.

It may also be caused by a condition where there is increased histamine release (similar to allergies). You may want to try taking a dose of benadryl (dosing per the boxes recommendations) to see if this helps the symptoms.

Sometimes excessive dryness can cause this feeling as well. Trying a skin moisturizer is also reasonable.

There are a few more possible causes but these are the ones that have simple treatments so this is a good place to start. If it isn't getting better I would recommend you see a doctor for further evaluation.

Best wishes.
 skittles555 - Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:37 am

Went to a doctor on campus, and he told me there was more than likely no cause and I was just imagining these things. What a bunch of NO HELP.

I had a couple of friends over tonight, and after a couple of hours on my couch, they were itching too. I think whatever I have giving me this crawly sensation is affecting my carpet/furniture??? Because I always feel things sort of nipping/grazing my feet as I sit down.

The only thing I've been able to see are white specks on my clothes and body. They're really tiny, almost like sand or salt.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here