News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: I become unbearably itchy when I go from hot to cold

yoshinyapapa - Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 am

Beginning every late fall, every time I go outside and then come inside (from a cold place to a hot place), I get itchy - unbearably itchy. This itchiness can last anywhere from thirty seconds to fifteen minutes and can often make me very uncomfortable. I always have to take off my coat and start scratching immediately after walking into a building (as long as it was somewhat cold while I was outside). Most of the itching occurs on my back, and also on my chest, shoulders, arms, neck, and head where my hair is. I also seem to become more itchy when I'm nervous or near large crowds of people (but even this only occurs when it's cold outside and hot inside). I'm 19, male, and this has been occurring for the past two winters.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 pm

User avatar Hi Yoshinyapapa,

You may have a hyperhistamine condition. Allergy symptoms are due to histamine release. In some people, the body makes more histamine than usual. Histamine is stored in the mast cells of the body. Increases in temperature can trigger histamine release from these cells.

Often, people with this condition can lightly scratch their skin and it turns quite red. This condition is called dermatographia (basically the ability to write on the skin). it is also associated with the increased histamine release.

You may consider trying an antihistamine (allergy medicine). Taking a medicaiton such as this may help blunt the effect of the temperature changes.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here