News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Small red patches on upper lip

chris84 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Okay, this is a bit difficult to describe, so bear with me. I've included two pictures to hopefully assist in the description.

For the past few years, I've had small red patches appear on the skin of my upper lip. These patches are slightly raised, enough to pick at them and peel the raised portion off, though this leaves it feeling very irritated. The patches come and go, sometimes completely absent, sometimes appearing in mass. I used to have problems with tinea versicolor, which I appear to have permanently cleared up using a cortisone cream, and thinking this might be a fungal infection as well I've tried using cortisone creams and regular skin creams on it as well, which seems to help heal the skin, but I'm not entirely sure if it's either of the creams, or just the patches going away on their own. Is there any diagnosis that can be made from the pictures I've attached?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/ ... cture1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/ ... ure2_r.jpg

Thank you guys so much for all that you do
Chris
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:14 pm

User avatar Hi Chris,

These spots appear to be irritated hair follicles. Often these can be precipitated by shaving and irritating the skin. I do not think these are from a fungus.

Typically the best method of treatment is to try to prevent them from forming by using a good shaving cream and keeping your razor sharp. If the areas are red it is OK to use a mild steroid cream like 0.5% hydrocortisone but try not to use this for an extended period of time.

If these get worse or aren't getting better I would suggest you see your doctor for further treatment recommendations.

Best wishes.
 chris84 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:22 pm

Really? They seemed to spread out to be hair follicles . . . most of the spots cover a patch of more than one hair, and I almost never shave with a razor, I shave with an electric shaver because I never let the hair get beyond just a little stubble. I should have mentioned this before. Does that still seem like what it is?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here