Question: Grit stuck under skin

Clarity - Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:09 pm

Hi there,

I have some grit, glass or dirt stuck under the skin of my thumb, from when I cut my thumb a few months ago. It's not visible from the surface of my skin, and I'm not certain of its exact location. There's about a square half-inch that it could be in.

Obviously I'm going to need to dig it out somehow (it's uncomfortable to the touch). I just wondered whether anybody had any tips, eg. to reduce the pain of my little operation, and to reduce the likelihood of scarring. Also, I'm not sure how to be sure of actually getting it out, since it could be anywhere withing that square half-inch. Can I just cut my thumb in the general area and rely on the bleeding to carry it out?

Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:47 pm

User avatar Clarity,
You should do nothing of the sort. Please refer to a general surgeon immediately. This minor operation has to be done under total aseptic conditions and the cut has to be very precise in order to avoid scarring and its ominous complications. You won't be admitted you'll leave right away.
 Clarity - Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:07 am

Tamer Fouad, M.D. wrote:This minor operation has to be done under total aseptic conditions and the cut has to be very precise in order to avoid scarring and its ominous complications.

I know. I just don't want to bother the doctor with something so trivial, and that's why I'm asking for advice here. I really don't want to leave any scars if at all possible, and I imagine that could be accomplished with a razor blade or similarly sharp edge. What bothers me is how deep it must be that it's not visible to the naked eye after several months.

The alternative is that I just put up with it, instead of slashing up my poor thumb to no avail!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:24 am

User avatar Clarity,
You will not bother anyone, you will be doing the right thing. You probably will leave an ugly scar if you do it and that could lead to you developing a contracture as well.

|