Question: Cut that won't heal

Help222 - Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:02 pm

First things first. I am an idiot. I tried to open a bottle with my bellybutton almost a YEAR ago, it didn't work. I now have a belly button that has no scab. A scab does not form properly instead just a bellybutton lined with skin I can only compare to that of the skin when a blister is ripped off; red, sensitive and sometimes oozy. A scab does form, kind of, but it is moist, like the begining of a scab but it never gets any further. I have left it for weeks under bandages, not even allowing it to get wet. I have carried on as usual, showers and all. I have done a mix of the two, but nothing works. I have been using this "spray on skin" bandage on and off for months an it doesn't work either.

I am healthy; male; 16; no family history or symptoms of diabetes (though my mom has low blood sugar); I play soccer rugby and baseball; my weight has fluctuatted of late ranging from 165 too 195 (but I grew a lot too; I am 6'2"ish), sometimes it smells but only when I avoid the shower in fear of destroying what I always hope is the beggining of a scab; The cut essentially takes up my whole belly button going right to the bottom, because I am an idiot and I used to pick it (i always pick cuts).

I'll do anything, i just want it to heal.

PLease, I know it is not painfull or even remotly dangerous ( I hope) but I don't ever take my shirt off in public anymore, I don't swim, tan or anything. In the locker room I turn away. I am digusted with myself for being stupid wnough to put myself in this position and for being so inept that I can not heal a simple wound. My confidence is shattered and i have never been too confident anyway. I fell like a freak. No one knows about this and I am thankful for that. I will NOT see a doctor for this because I am too embarresed.
 Sandy Tracy RN - Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 am

User avatar Hi, Help222.

First of all you are not an idiot, just young. Second of all do not let this shatter your confidence. All kids do things that they are embarassed about at one time or another.

The belly button area is not a highly vascular area, meaning that there is not alot of blood flow. This area is also being stretched by sitting and standing all the time. Since it has been so long since this has happened and healing has not occured my suggestion is to seek medical attention. Remember this is a professional and has seen and heard alot worse. In the meantime I would confess and tell your parents, this will lift a weight off of your shoulders. You could start the conversation with mom or dad did you ever do something stupid when you ere my age that made you feel like a complete idiot......... This will open the doors of communication for you.

Please do not let this destroy you. You are young and still learning about life. There are worse things that you could have done. By the way was this beer or pop in the bottle????? Just a word to the wise do not let peer pressure influence you in the future. I can see your friends saying " I bet you can not open this bottle of COKE with your belly button, and you said wanna bet and a year later you still are feeling the effects.

Please take care and do not put yourself through the agony of worrying over this any longer tell your parents and see a doctor. They can help

Good luck and let me know what happens
Sandy RN
 Sandy Tracy RN - Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:13 am

User avatar I forgot to finish telling you that since the belly button is not a highly vascular area it will take much longer to heal. If the area is red or there is smelly drainage it may be infected. This can spread if not taken care of. So I encourage you to stop trying to heal this yourself and see your doctor.

Take care and keep in touch
Sandy RN

|