Question: Severe fungal infection in the groin

ccaroo - Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:03 pm

I have what I feel like, and what the doctor said he thouoght is to be a fungal infection in my groin. NOTHING I have tried will get rid of it, i have tried creams such as tinactin,lotrimin,lamisil. i have used them for 4 weeks even when it said 2 with no results. Even oral stuff from the doctor ketocanazole? Did not work. I am terribly embarrased to keep going to doctors, mainly because it seems like you have to tell 15 people including female nurses/assistants what you are there for. I keep powder on the area to keep it very dry. It itches terribly and i usually scratch it till it bleeds. My entire groin area is affected, scrotum and penis, with rash down the inside of one thigh, not the other one. From what I read jock itch doesn't normally affect the penis and scrotum. I am at my wits end with this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 pm

User avatar Hi Ccaroo,

The medications you have tried are all very appropriate for fungal infections. For an oral medicine, often fluconazole is a bit better, but if taken correctly ketoconazole should also be effective. Given that your rash is not getting better on these medicines I am wondering if your rash really is a fungal infection. Jock itch can affect the penile shaft and scrotum. Other possibilities include a contact dermatitis or even a bacterial skin infection.

I would suggest that you see a dermatologist if possible. Doing a skin scraping and culture to try to grow the yeast may also be helpful. If the fungus can be cultured antifungal medication sensitivities can be determined to be sure you are getting an appropriate medicine to treat the infection.

|