Question: scars on prepuce skin after cryotherapy

robertjordan - Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:52 am

Hi, I had cryotherapy 2 weeks ago for 6 small molluscum lesions on my penis' prepuce skin. Now each treated area has developed a light-colored slightly raised scar. I am very distressed by this cosmetically catastrophical result, and I blame the health professional by which I was treated for not having warned me or discussed alternative options before. Is there anything that I can do now? Will the appearance improve in time? is dermabrasion an option? Please help me, I'm really depressed. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I understand your concern but at this point you really should wait it out. Scars can change considerably on their own as part of the healing process but it can take many months or even years to achieve the full healing that is possible. Each person is individual with this and some people have a predisposition to keloids or hyprtrophic scars that can mean their scars are more pronounced, raised, reddened and just don't heal nicely. Some treatments are possible if this is the case so it's worth seeing a doctor if you feel you have this problem. If so, your situation was not caused by the doctor and this is a common treatment for molluscum. For future reference, always ask the doctor to explain all the possible treatments available, the complication of each and the risk of no treatment at all.

|