Question: Dry & Flaky Facial Skin

baseball - Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi. I appreciate someone's help. I'm 26 years old and developed dry and flaky skin around my nose, eyelids, around my chin area and in the fold above the mustache area (don't have a mustache though). I've never had it before in my life. It started for the first time in my life around the middle of November when the temperature started to change and get cold and less humid. It seems to be more dry and flaky when I get out of the shower (tight feeling) and when I wake up in the morning. I apply moisturizer, however it seems to just soak right in and my face is still dry. The flakes that I peel off are not oily or greasy, rather they are crispy dry. Can someone please help me with what could cause this type of dry skin problem?

I've read a lot about Seborrheic Dermatitis on the internet, however it mentions oily skin is the cause...my skin doesn't feel/appear oily to me, but all the places I have the flaky skin seem to be places where SD is described. I usually get acne on my forehead and face in the warm summer months, especially when I sweat/workout/am outside and skin seems more oily, however now I don't have any acne on my face at all. Could I have developed dry facial skin for the first time at 26 years of age?? Is it possible to have oily skin in the summer, more humid times and dry skin in the winter, less humid times?

Thank you in advance for your help and God Bless.

Thank you in advance for someone helping me with my question.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:46 pm

User avatar Hi Baseball,

There are a few possibilities. The areas you mention are susceptible to getting seborrheic dermatitis. This is often treatable by using a dandruff type shampoo and washing the face with it. Also, Seb. Derm. tends to be worse with hair in the area so if you were to grow a beard or mustache it may flare with this condition.

The other possibility is a condition called eczema. Eczema is exceedingly common and often is worsened in the winter due to the dry air. Using moisturizing creams (the tub kind rather than the pump kind since these are thicker and work better) can help. Often, a steroid cream is needed. Most of the face is safe to use a 0.5% or 1% hydrocortisone cream but it should not be put on the eyes or eyelids because it can have bad side effects in those areas.

I would recommend you see your doctor about this for an evaluation. There are some other prescription creams that work very well for eczema that are safe for the eye area.

|