News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: sudden moles appearing

NeedDoc123 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:40 am

Recently, say over the past month I have started noticing small moles appearing in various places such as hand, arms, leg etc..they aren't dangerous looking however they are just suddenly popping up. I'm fair skinned and DO NOT get in the sun or the tanning bed AT ALL. It just really scares me b/c its all the sudden happening and I was worried that some underlying serious condition could be causing it or really don't know what to think actually..any help is appreciated..thank you very much!

anxiously waiting :(
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 am

User avatar Since you didn't give any personal information I do not know your age. Most moles develop by age 20 but can occur through midlife. People usually have between 10 and 40 of them on the body and they have a limited life span - around 50 years so they may disappear with age. I suspect you are young and this is just normal.

For your information, number of moles has no connection to cancer. When someone gets melanoma it is usually just one mole that is not the "garden variety" but rather, it is larger, has irregular borders and varied colors, though none of these things automatically mean cancer. Those that fit the description, especially if larger than a pencil eraser in diameter, and/or with the other characteristics should be checked out to rule out cancer. Changing moles are more concerning than newly appearing ones.

I hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here