News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: adult male with Psoriasis but with acne on chin

Quest one - Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:51 pm

It is very painful and nearly impossible to shave but have to shave because of job. I have extremely dry skin so I use alot of dermatology prescribed perfume free lotions but then I have gotten really bad acne on my chin so I am caught between a rock and a hard place. Either my skin dries out and gets flaky or I have acne. Could it be an infection because it just won't go away and seems to start to go away but then comes back even worse a little later. I really do think it is infected, what can I do, is there a medication both topical and internal that I can use?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 pm

User avatar Hi Quest One,

This is a very difficult situation. The moisturizers, necessary to prevent you from getting dry skin, are very likely to be the culprit for your acne. I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for an evaluation and a specialized treatment plan to help treat both issues. It may very well be that you need to take a medication orally to help control your acne and allow you to continue using the moisturizers if needed.

Best wishes.
 theartist - Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:58 am

Find a doctor who has a light therapy machine. I have psoriasis and went to numerous doctors, who all put me on steroid creams that didn't help me (and often made matters worse); that was until I found a doctor who did light therapy. That was in 2003. I did light therapy for about five months, and since then, I've not had psoriasis, save for when I'm really stressed. Even then, it's only a small splotch here or there, and it goes away in time. Light therapy is definitely worth at least trying, if you haven't done so already.

Point is, if you can get one thing taken care of or at least put in check--in this case, the psoriasis--the other can then be treated more effectively. Moreover, possibly at least part of your acne issue is related to the stress of living and constantly dealing with psoriasis!

In terms of the acne, I have found that any acne treatment with benzoyl peroxide causes me only trouble, because it is very drying. However, I have found salicylic acid to be perfect for the occasional breakout. Just check the backs of over the counter meds sometime. You'll find that a LOT of them use benzoyl peroxide, and if your skin is anything like mine, it'll make you go crazy. There are some out there with the salicylic acid, though, and I find them to be good. Give that a go and good luck. :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here