News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Multiple moles on back

P812C - Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:38 pm

I am a 28-year-old male with a history of dysplastic moles. I have a family history of basal cell carcinoma but not melanoma. On my most recent skin check at the dermatologist, a shave biopsy was performed of a mole located on my back. Pathology showed mild melanocytic dysplasia with a junctional component of the nevus extending to a peripheral margin of the biopsy. Does granulation of the healing process following the shave biopsy destroy the residual mole or is follow-up excisional biopsy with clear margins recommended? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:18 pm

User avatar Hi P812C,

The granulation of healing does not get rid of any remaining cells from the mole. If there was concern about the dysplasia possibly becoming cancerous and the entire area was not removed with clear margins, a repeat biopsy may be necessary. In this case, often a therapeutic currettage can be performed to help be sure that all the cells have been destroyed. This method does not allow for microscopic evaluation of margins, however; so if a melanoma was truly suspected a shave biopsy may be more appropriate.

If the initial biopsy did not get all the mole but did not have dysplastic cells in the margins it is a little less likely to need further removal and careful monitoring may be sufficient.

I would suggest you talk with your dermatologist or primary care doctor about the need for further biopsy. With either situation you will want to have good follow up and regular evaluation to look for any further concerning areas that may develop.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here