Question: Painful Patch of Skin

lady814 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:35 pm

I have a patch of skin on the side of my knee that has been hurting when touched/rubbed for about 3 months now. It's about a three inch diameter and there is no rash or anything. I don't think I have hurt it. It sort of feels like a sunburn. Pressure does not hurt, just light touches like my pants rubbing against it.
I often have patches of skin that hurt for a day or two and then go away. Since this has been so long, I don't know if something is wrong.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:44 am

It sounds as though you are experiencing little areas of nerve irritation (neuropathy) in the skin. While this is not generally serious, it can become quite disabling if widespread and constant. Little outbreaks of it are often related to shingles or having had chickenpox. Usually these will go away on their own, but if the problem becomes more widespread or remarkably painful the best thing of course would be to bring it to the attention of a doctor. If it remains only small, isolated patches of pain, try an over-the-counter pain med like ibuprofin.

Good luck to you and please let us know how things go with this.

|