News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: strange Mole caused by shaving ingrown hair??

lilonething - Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:04 am

About 7 years ago I cut myself shaving my bikini line and it bled for a long time. I believe it was an ingrown hair that caused me to bleed but I'm not 100% sure. It definitely wasn't a slip of the razor but it may also have been that I hadn't let enough time go by since the last shave. I don't know if this is normal or not, but if I try to shave stubble in that area it is extremely painful and some spots will bleed.

Either way, I bled and it turned into a mole coloured scab. This scab was sloughed off a few times during subsequent shaves, bled again, and then grew. I have quit shaving because it is in the way but it seems to me that it has grown slightly anyway. It no longer looks like a scab, but just an irregular, large, bumpy mole with a dark spot at the edge. If I touch it at all it gets itchy and irritated but does not bother me if I leave it well enough alone.

Question: Can moles be caused by cuts or ingrown hairs in sensitive skin? Is this anything to worry about? Could it actually be growing even though I have not re-injured it in a long time?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I have a few other small, natural, moles on other parts of my body. Only one is raised and it is also sometimes itchy (on my back) and seems to have gotten slightly larger lately. Do moles just grow naturally?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
Moles are not caused by injuries so you can rest easy on that one. I would wonder if you may have had a small mole that was shaved off, resulting in the scab and subsequent regrowth. If moles become larger, have irregular borders and/or are multi colored it is important to have them checked by a doctor just to be on the safe side. Moles can change, even when there is no cancer but it's best to check it out.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here