Question: Red bumps on stomach/pelvis

if1184 - Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm a 23 year old male. A few weeks ago, I noticed some small pink bumps starting near my belly button and continuing down to just above my penis. At first they appeared to be irritated hair folicles, but upon closer inspection, the bumps were definitely between hairs. These bumps are small and do not itch. They are far easier to see after taking a shower. I tried popping a few to see if they were some odd pimples, but they only bled with no puss. They are all perfectly round and are slightly raised. I'm sexually active, but have only been with one partner, who was tested before she and i ever had intercourse. She shows no signs of these bumps anywhere on her body. Any ideas?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:49 pm

User avatar Hello If1184,

There are a few possibilities. These spots may be due to a viral infection or possibly some contact irritation. If they begin to bother you or if they get worse I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation. From what you are describing I'm not particularly suspicious of an STD.

wickedjermany - Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:09 am

If1184,

I have the exact same problem. I am also a 23 year old male. Pretty much identical symptoms, except they don't go all the way down to my penis. Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem. It would be amazingly appreciated. my email is wickedjermany@yahoo.com
 if1184 - Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 pm

The doctor told me it was maluscom contagiousum (sp?). It's an infection that's spread by skin contact, so you probably got it from your partner. The bumps could last from 2 weeks to 4 years. They aren't supposed to cause any harm except giving you what looks like a pimply stomach and crotch.

Awesome! are you as excited about this as i am? :-|
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:43 pm

User avatar Molluscum contagiosum is a virus that can cause bumps as you've described. The classically have a central dimple in them. They will resolve on their own with time but can be treated with various techniques to help them resolve faster.

The virus is spread by contact so sexual contact can spread them. It also can be spread by direct contact of skin in non-sexual situations.

Best wishes. Thanks for the update.
 wickedjermany - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 am

That can't be good. I haven't had a sexual partner for a while. But i suppose I can see when i might have been infected.

I was hoping it wasn't that... I was researching that.

Dr. Lowe, what are some methods you can suggest to get them to go away faster? I can imagine it might be a bit difficult explaining to a future partner that you have an infectious rashy-thing right near your crotch! :-/

I'd love some feed back!
 if1184 - Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Bump. I'd also like some advice on how to keep these things at a minimum. I'm definitely seeing way more obvious ones since my original post. They're also now showing up on my penis. Granted I only have one sexual parter and she understands the situation, but if this has the potential to last for up to four years, I want to make it as minimal as possible.
 if1184 - Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:50 am

Yeah, I'm also curious about how to make these go away faster or be less visible.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Molluscum will usually go away on its own in six months to a year if your immune system is working well, but in adults it is recommended that this be treated for the reasons you mention. Nobody wants to spread a contagious disease, even if it is mostly harmless. Medications used to remove warts may be helpful in removing the papules. Additionally, the medication imiquimod (Aldara) is promising but not consistently effective. I have personally seen it used very successfully and painlessly. It is expensive but takes only the tiniest bit of topical ointment daily for a few weeks and you must be diligent about the daily application. I believe it is worth trying. More traditional methods such as scraping, freezing, acid and laser treatments are also used. These can also be costly due to the repeated trips to the doctor to have it done.

Good luck to you all.

|