News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: fat nodule behind ear

Georgina - Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 am

5 days ago I felt sudden pain and itching behind my ear lobe and scratched it. The whole thing popped out of nowhere - without previous pain or irritation or injury. I realized that there is a slightly painful, itchy, pea size bump behind the left earlobe. i thought it was a pimple but I could not see it very well. I left it and just put a little ice on it. 5 days later the peasize lump is still there, not that painful but visible and ugly. it feels like a fat nodule, I can move it under the skin. I have been feeling a bit down with stiff neck, pain in the shoulder and upper back but I don't know if it is related to the lump.
Tonite I had a look at it again as much as I could . It really looked like a hard pimple, or a fat ball under the skin. i took a sterilized needle and washed my ear with alcohol and tried to pop it. Nothing came out at all. No fat, no water. I am really worried. i think it is a fat nodule but i want it out and i don't want it to grow bigger. Please advise.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:09 am

User avatar Hello,
Of course it is impossible to say for sure without an exam, but this could be a lipoma (benign fatty tumor under the skin). These are usually movable and soft but typically painless so this may not be the case. If so, you do not need to worry about it and it is not an emergency. If you want to verify this I would recommend a visit to a dermatologist, especially if it becomes painful, bothersome or annoying to you, in which case it can be removed.

It is possible it is just a temporary problem that will resolve itself, such as a cyst or infected follicle. So, watch and wait is OK too.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here