News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: proteus syndrome?

angrob - Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:03 pm

ok, so im not sure where this would fit in, in the categories, but i thought this close. im in school for massage therapy, and we are doing a pathology class, and im writing a paper on proteus syndrome, and basically all i really wanted to know if massage was contraindicated or not, and if it isnt what type of massage could help? lymphatic drainage maybe? please help :(
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:04 pm

User avatar Hello Angrob,

Proteus syndrome is an extremely rare disorder (probably less than 1 per 1,000,000 people) that is characterized by various skin findings and bony overgrowth. It also is associated with various bleeding problems (both bleeding too easy and clotting too easy), internal formation of tumor such as lipomas and some lung cyst problems.

From my understanding of the disease, massage would not be contraindicated. I do not know of a particular type that would help. This disorder is not particularly a problem with lymphatic drainage so I don't know that massage directed at this would be any more or less beneficial than other types.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here