Question: Penis irritation for 7 months, already diagnosed as "nothing

celtics23 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:57 am

The skin on the underside of my penis, the area where it is wrinkled when flaccid, has been irritated off and on for the last 6 months or so. It may have started during sex due to some friction one time, or maybe when running and rubbing against my underpants. either way, it's clearly a SKIN issue, and i've already had it checked out by my doctor, and he said essentially it's just a skin issue that "should heal," NOT an STD, so i'm not looking for that alternative diagnosis.

It basically is just a little red line that is like a small break in the skin. This is very small. Sometimes there is just one, sometimes up to three. THey never really heal 100%. I've tried simply abstaining from sex for a while, but it hasn't helped really. It might be a litlte better one day or worse the next, but it seems to be unrelated to sexual activity. Maybe it's because simply getting an erection, which stretches out the skin, might be preventing it from healing completely, and it's kinda hard to prevent that...

I've tried, at the direction of my doctor:
-1% hydrocortizone
-vitamin A cream
-bacitracin oinment
-zinc oxide ointment

Nothing really worked wonders at all (obviously since it's 7 months later). I'm unsure what to do next. even abstaining from sex doesnt' seem to help...and my doctor didn't really know of other creams.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm afraid I can't add any more suggestions to what your doctor has done. I'm glad you had it checked out so you can be sure it is not related to infection. But, aside from trying to "cool it" and avoid erections for healing's sake, I don't know what more can be offered. Perhaps you have very sensitive skin and you should try using different underclothing, perhaps making sure it is soft 100% cotton, not too tight. Avoid using perfumed washing detergents but instead use a mild soap (maybe even one made for babies like Dreft or Ivory).

|