News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Penis irritation for 7 months, already diagnosed as "nothing

 celtics23 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:57 am

The skin on the underside of my penis, the area where it is wrinkled when flaccid, has been irritated off and on for the last 6 months or so. It may have started during sex due to some friction one time, or maybe when running and rubbing against my underpants. either way, it's clearly a SKIN issue, and i've already had it checked out by my doctor, and he said essentially it's just a skin issue that "should heal," NOT an STD, so i'm not looking for that alternative diagnosis.

It basically is just a little red line that is like a small break in the skin. This is very small. Sometimes there is just one, sometimes up to three. THey never really heal 100%. I've tried simply abstaining from sex for a while, but it hasn't helped really. It might be a litlte better one day or worse the next, but it seems to be unrelated to sexual activity. Maybe it's because simply getting an erection, which stretches out the skin, might be preventing it from healing completely, and it's kinda hard to prevent that...

I've tried, at the direction of my doctor:
-1% hydrocortizone
-vitamin A cream
-bacitracin oinment
-zinc oxide ointment

Nothing really worked wonders at all (obviously since it's 7 months later). I'm unsure what to do next. even abstaining from sex doesnt' seem to help...and my doctor didn't really know of other creams.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm afraid I can't add any more suggestions to what your doctor has done. I'm glad you had it checked out so you can be sure it is not related to infection. But, aside from trying to "cool it" and avoid erections for healing's sake, I don't know what more can be offered. Perhaps you have very sensitive skin and you should try using different underclothing, perhaps making sure it is soft 100% cotton, not too tight. Avoid using perfumed washing detergents but instead use a mild soap (maybe even one made for babies like Dreft or Ivory).

Good luck.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.