"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: reaction to benzoyl peroxide

rain - Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 pm

I used proactive 2x on thursday and had a reaction. My entire afce and neck broke out in a rash , red slight swollen with a million tiny bumps everywhere. Benedryl didn't help. Now it has improved a bit the swelling and reddness are gone but the bumps are still there. My face feels like sandpaper. What can i do? with it get better? how long?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm

You will probably have to just wait it out. The antihistamines are the best thing to do (adults can take 50 mg. Benedryl at a time). You may respond with some cortisone too but it will probably resolve in a few days.

In the future you should avoid benzoyl peroxide. You might want to see a dermatologist for a prescription to fight the acne. Salicylic acid is also used in acne treatments but if you try it, do a test on a small patch of skin first.