News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: psoriasis-is it genetic?

doctoradvice - Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 am

Hello doctor,

I am 24 now and i live in india. my father is affected with chronic psoriasis for the past twenty years and he is undergoing treatment for it. But recently i also observe tiny black coloured lumps in my skin,followed by an allergic sensation on the skin,when i eat any kind of sea food especially fish. Also there is water discharge on the lump that is formed, and it leaves out black coloured patches like eruptions on the skin if i scratch it. I had applied an ointment by name 'flucort' and it is ok by now. But my doubt is, "Is this allergy a primitive sign of psoriasis? " And also please clarify that whether psoriasis is infectious? Because i sometimes get to use his towels or soaps occasionally. Is it ok or should i have to be alert not using them.
Does psoriasis spread genitically ? please advice.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
Like many other conditions it is believed there may be a genetic component that makes a person more susceptible to psoriasis than another person. Most believe that it is a series of conditions that are necessary for one to get psoriasis. Even this combination likely will differ from one person to another. Scientists believe that about 10% of people have the genetic susceptibility but only 2 - 3 % actually develop psoriasis.

This condition is not contagious. One person cannot pass it to another so you are safe on the towel question.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Debbie

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here