News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: White hardening of the skin

clairebear9898 - Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 pm

I am a 20 year old female with no real medical history. For about two years now, I have had a small white patch under my eye. It has never changed in size, it has always been a loss of pigment about the size of a dime, but in no particular shape. The skin is also a little tougher than the skin under my other eye. I have been to a few medical doctors, an eye doctor, and a dermatologist. No one knows what it is. I have an appointment to see another dermatologist in a few weeks, but are there any suggestions?

I read something on the Internet about Scleroderma, but none of the doctors diagnosed me with that, and I am young and do not have any joint/health problems and am very active, so I am not too concerned about it.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 pm

User avatar Hello -

A hyperkeratic lesion such as you describe can be due to a number of different causes, while often they remain idiopathic (meaning "we have no idea"). Scleroderma would be a fairly unlikely possibility, but since it can occur systemically or just locally, the best way to determine this would probably be to have it biopsied. Scleroderma usually follows a typical pattern, though, at first looking like bruised skin, then turning brownish, and slowly to whitish. If you recall something like that happening then it could be localized scleroderma. Otherwise it is probably idiopathic, and these sorts of lesions do show up in certain individuals with mixed connective tissue disease or often, again, for no reason at all.

It sounds as though you had it pretty well worked up with no finding, so that's a big plus. Of course if it changes or gets larger you'll need to have it re-evaluated.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here