Question: White hardening of the skin

clairebear9898 - Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 pm

I am a 20 year old female with no real medical history. For about two years now, I have had a small white patch under my eye. It has never changed in size, it has always been a loss of pigment about the size of a dime, but in no particular shape. The skin is also a little tougher than the skin under my other eye. I have been to a few medical doctors, an eye doctor, and a dermatologist. No one knows what it is. I have an appointment to see another dermatologist in a few weeks, but are there any suggestions?

I read something on the Internet about Scleroderma, but none of the doctors diagnosed me with that, and I am young and do not have any joint/health problems and am very active, so I am not too concerned about it.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 pm

A hyperkeratic lesion such as you describe can be due to a number of different causes, while often they remain idiopathic (meaning "we have no idea"). Scleroderma would be a fairly unlikely possibility, but since it can occur systemically or just locally, the best way to determine this would probably be to have it biopsied. Scleroderma usually follows a typical pattern, though, at first looking like bruised skin, then turning brownish, and slowly to whitish. If you recall something like that happening then it could be localized scleroderma. Otherwise it is probably idiopathic, and these sorts of lesions do show up in certain individuals with mixed connective tissue disease or often, again, for no reason at all.

It sounds as though you had it pretty well worked up with no finding, so that's a big plus. Of course if it changes or gets larger you'll need to have it re-evaluated.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|