Question: Treating burns

kandy - Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am

I was deep frying chicken yesterday and I don't know how but some very hot oil spilled on me. I quickly washed it off for a few seconds and then dried out my hand. About a minute later, i noticed slight red patches on my hand. One of them is like a big long cloud about 1inch x .75 inch, and the other one is .5 x .5 inch, and about 3 more much smaller spots. Later that night i noticed all those spots became at least 2 shades darker and became brownish-red. I applied some Myciatrin Plus (it has bacitracin) before going to bed. There is no oozing or cut or anything like that. It's almost like it's part of my skin, like i have a disease..

I've read contradicting things on the net. Am i supposed to COVER the area or not with some gauze? Will these brown spots ever go away? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 pm

I'm sorry it has taken a while to answer your question. Hopefully your burns are healing fine by now. The important thing is to keep the area clean to prevent infection. This is the main reason you may cover the area. It is not necessary; just one way to keep it clean and sometimes protect a blister. Of course it is important to change a dressing on a burn regularly so you can actually examine the healing skin for any signs of infection.

|