News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: emerging armpit boils

lappel - Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 am

I have been getting boils for about a month, one at a time in different places. Then I got one on my armpit, which was ridiculously painful and quickly spread. So i did research adn started using antibacterial soap, black salve, and boiling my laundry. The first one drained, but there are now five little painful bumps under my armpit (whcih probably started before i began using ultrasanitary procedures). Its been a few weeks and these bumps have neither developed/drained, or gone away. Ive been using black salve on them each night and neosporin during the day...how can I get them to go away??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 pm

User avatar Hello Lappel,

Commonly, recurrent skin abscesses like these are due to a bacteria called MRSA (methycillin resistant staph aureus). This bacterial tends to be resistant to many antibiotics. If an abscess (boil) has formed and is not spontaneously draining it may need to be drained to resolve.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have these evaluated and appropriately treated. MRSA infections may also require oral antibiotics.

Recurring boils in the armpit area may, much less commonly, be from a condition called hydradinitis suppurativa, which is basically infections of the sweat glands. Occasionally, this condition can be very difficult to treat requiring surgical intervention.

I would recommend a visit to your doctor for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here