Question: Sore/swollen bump on bridge of nose

laurapaigetm - Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:46 pm

On the bridge of my nose (where glasses are placed) is a swollen bump. At first I thought it was a pimple, but it is under the skin and feels too big to be a pimple. Everytime I touch it or scrunch my nose it hurts. I got a needle and poked a tiny whole through my skin and blood came out. The bump is pinkish in color. Could you try to help me identify what it is? Could it just be a large under-the-skin pimple? Or a swollen lymph node? Or a cyst? Please help. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:56 pm

These are essentially pimples -- usually blocked sebacious glands -- that appear on the nose. They can become painful and infected but usually go away on their own with time. However, now that you've done some minor surgery of your own, you should know that the triangle formed between the top of the bridge of the nose and the corners of the mouth constitute what is often referred to as the "dangerous triangle." We're told not to squeeze pimples because it will make them worse, and sometimes we are told doing so can cause a brain infection. When the lesion occurs in this triangular area, because of the way the blood drains from the area, it is a genuine risk.

All that being said, you'll need to keep an eye (probably better use a mirror) on the bump on your nose and make sure it is getting better instead of worse. If you experience any symptoms of illness, fever, swelling or increased reddening of the affected area, see a doctor at once, as you could possibly have caused a simple facial pimple to become infected (not only should they not be squeezed but they should never be penetrated by unsterilized objects and not by anyone not a medical professional).

There is an equal chance what you did to the pimple may have allowed it to drain and may actually wind up causing it to go away sooner, but for future reference, this really isn't worth the risk.

Please follow up with us on this. Best of luck to you.

|