News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Sore/swollen bump on bridge of nose

laurapaigetm - Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:46 pm

On the bridge of my nose (where glasses are placed) is a swollen bump. At first I thought it was a pimple, but it is under the skin and feels too big to be a pimple. Everytime I touch it or scrunch my nose it hurts. I got a needle and poked a tiny whole through my skin and blood came out. The bump is pinkish in color. Could you try to help me identify what it is? Could it just be a large under-the-skin pimple? Or a swollen lymph node? Or a cyst? Please help. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:56 pm

User avatar Hello -

These are essentially pimples -- usually blocked sebacious glands -- that appear on the nose. They can become painful and infected but usually go away on their own with time. However, now that you've done some minor surgery of your own, you should know that the triangle formed between the top of the bridge of the nose and the corners of the mouth constitute what is often referred to as the "dangerous triangle." We're told not to squeeze pimples because it will make them worse, and sometimes we are told doing so can cause a brain infection. When the lesion occurs in this triangular area, because of the way the blood drains from the area, it is a genuine risk.

All that being said, you'll need to keep an eye (probably better use a mirror) on the bump on your nose and make sure it is getting better instead of worse. If you experience any symptoms of illness, fever, swelling or increased reddening of the affected area, see a doctor at once, as you could possibly have caused a simple facial pimple to become infected (not only should they not be squeezed but they should never be penetrated by unsterilized objects and not by anyone not a medical professional).

There is an equal chance what you did to the pimple may have allowed it to drain and may actually wind up causing it to go away sooner, but for future reference, this really isn't worth the risk.

Please follow up with us on this. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here