News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: alcoholism and hair quality

Curtis24 - Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:07 am

I was a serious alcoholic for almost two years. I'm sober now, and have been sober for six months. Yet, my hair has become dry, brittle, matted down. I'm almost certain the alcoholism is to blame. Yet, even though I've been sober 6 months, its still growing in the same way. Is this permanent, or will it get better in time?

I'm 24 years old, in case that's important. Also, I'm not losing hair, I've had 2 haircuts since I've been sober, its just growing in poor quality.

thanks a lot
Curtis
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, this could be related, but changes in hair take a very long time to show up. If you continue to take good care of your health and eat a good diet, you may see improvement over the year or so. Some people feel that a B-complex vitamin can be helpful and some supplements cater to hair and nails. These aren't instant cures but they may help.

You might also benefit from consulting with a stylist for topical products that may help.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here