Question: Does HCTZ make you more sensitive to urushiol dermatitis?

neils - Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 am

I'd been taking HCTZ for moderately elevated blood pressure for a few mos now. Two weeks ago my forearm was exposed to mango rind. Mango is in the same family as poison ivy and sumac, and the rind has the same stuff in it (urushiol) that attacks the skin. I know that HCTZ is supposed to make you more sensitive to sunburn, but does it also make you more sensitive to urushiol poisoning? I was surprised at the severity of the reaction - I don't recall ever reacting that way.

Tx,

neils
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:27 pm

I have not found anything to show a problem in this. At least it is not reported as a precaution to be careful about.

|