Question: Scars from breast reduction surgery

ellliej37 - Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 pm

I was wondering if there is any skin cream or ointment you could suggest for helping scars I have from a breast reduction surgery. I am half Mexican and have darker skin, and therefore my scars are a little bit heavier than I expected. I had the surgery in 2004, and though the scarring has gotten better over the last couple of years, I would really like to help certain areas that are especially thick and dark.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:56 pm

It is possible you have a tendency to keloid scarring and there is no sure cure though a number of treatments are used with varying levels of success. But, it may just be that you need more time for the scarring to fade and in most cases it does. It is a gradual process that sometimes does take years to complete.

Dermabrasion is sometimes used (by a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon) to reduce raised scars as well as cortisone injections. There may be other treatments but I don't know of anything over-the-counter that is really effective, though there are many advertised products with such claims. Typically they are just moisturizers.

|