Question: DARK RASH ON MY FOREHEAD HELP!!

tallmaleuk - Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi there,

Over the last five years during the late summer time around August I always get a dark blotchy rash on my forehead and i just wanted to know what could be causing it and what treatment would be best to treat the rash?

The only sympthoms the rash has is that it is dark brown in colour (im the same colour as will smith the actor). The rash does not itch or anything else and is just unsightly.

I have heard that it is possible to become sensitive to the sunlight if you first suffer contact dermatitis durning the summer time and i think that this could possibly be a cause of it. Though that is just a guess.

Anyway all help will be gratefully received.

Gordon
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:58 pm

User avatar Hi Gordon,

I think you've basically worked this one out for yourself, and that's pretty impressive. It does sound like seasonal radial dermatitis due to exposure to the sun. Now what you need is a treatment plan, and only a dermatologist can do this part, so I hope you'll make an appointment prior to the time when this is likley to start (I'd do it soon) so you can avoid permanent pigmentation changes on your forehead.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.
 tallmaleuk - Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks for your reply John. I did go to see a dermatologist and she told me it was a condition called Melasma. She told me that were no real treatments available apart from skin bleaching creams which i do not wish to use.

I believe intially the rash is caused by a shampoo or something similar dripping down my forehead and then this rash is worsened in the sunlight. I also suffer from stress too and i think this might also contribute to this condition as well.

I have started using a high sun block cream which the dermatologist recommended and hopefully this should help too.

Thanks again for all your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:43 pm

User avatar You're very welcome and I'm gratified to learn you've found a doctor who has been of some help with this. It sounds like you might be on the right track toward managing this, even if it's not technically curable.

Good luck to you and please do keep us updated.

|