Question: Should I worry about bluish-gray blotches on calf?

kittykatherina - Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:06 am

Hi, I half these weird three cloudy gray spots on my calf that are right next to each other and all together are about an inch and a half long. I would normally assume that they are bruises, except that it's been a week and these spots have not gotten any lighter or smaller. Also, they are a faded grayish color (like a bruise) on the outside, but towards the middle of the spots, they are concentrated into a somewhat darker blue coloring (but not very dark or anything). Additionally, it's hard for them to be bruises because each spot individually is maybe 1/2 an inch wide and long, and they are all next to each other (unless a three-headed fork hit my leg?) It doesn't hurt, it doesn't itch, and there aren't lumps, so maybe I'm just a hypochondriac. But I don't think it's a bruise, because I don't remember bumping into anything. I feel fine--in fact, I feel strangely more energetic than usual.

I'm just slightly worried because my family doesn't have health insurance, so I don't even remember the last time i saw a doctor. Who knows what kind of problems I could have? Anyway, should I be worried about this? Thank you!

Thanks again,
L.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -

The description of the blotches makes them sound very much like bruises. While the three-pronged-fork theory would be attractive, that's probably not what happend. However, something similar may have happened, and if not a three-pronged object, perhaps three quick strikes or instances of pressure in the area could cause the same sort of discoloration.

If the color begins to turn to maroonish-yellow, it's almost surely brusing. If it becomes darker or more of the blotches form, or if the area becomes painful and/or swollen, or turns reddish, you should then have it looked at by a doctor. Otherwise, a week isn't too long a time for bruises to last, and sometimes it may take more than a week for them to start to fade. We often get them without being aware of the pressure or blow, and wind up trying to figure out how it happened. Hopefully that's the case with you and those will start to fade shortly.

Please let us know how this plays out. Best of luck to you.

|