Question: Fluid on Finger

Carol59 - Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Out of the blue last night my wedding ring finger felt a little funny and when I took my ring off the knuckle was filled with fluid. I know I didn't injure it and was home all day so I don't think I was exposed to anything out of the ordinary. Within the last couple of months, I have also had a couple of blister-like hives appear out of no where. Any thoughts? I'm perimenopausal so I think there are times when unusual skin conditions occur but I'm worried about something more serious. Thanks for your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:41 pm

The fluid on your ring finger sounds as though it could be a symptom of osteoarthritis or perhaps even gout, but I take it there was little to no associated pain, and gout usually occurs after some prior injury. This is an odd presentation, and although I doubt it is anything extremely serious -- certainly not life-threatening -- if it continues or recurs it probably should be checked by a doctor, since it could be an early sign of some sort of rheumatic problem which, as with most medical issues, is best dealt with early on. Then again, it could be some sort of obscure allergic reaction -- especially since you've had some other welts in other locations recently.

You may wind up being referred to an allergist or rheumatologist -- or a doctor may be good enough at playing detective to figure it out right off the bat. Either way, I think it deserves medical attention. I honestly have no idea, other than the guesses above, what it might be.

Please do follow up with us. Best of luck to you.

|