News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: itchy bumps turned lumps that pop with puss

alishacrandell - Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 pm

i thought they were bites at first cause they were very itchy the more i get daily the bigger they com and a couple have pussed after i scratched them. what do you think they might be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:06 pm

User avatar Hi there -

There are two possibilities which come to mind, and they are related: first, they might have been bug bites to start with, and then got infected because of being scratched (this is not as unusual as you might think). Second, they could be due to a primary infection due to having been exposed to something which permitted bacteria to enter a tiny break in the skin. Usually these are staphylococcus infections. A third possibility is an allergic reaction to something ,but it seems less likely given the description. Either sort of infection would now be treated pretty much the same way, with either oral or topical antibiotics. You'll need to show the lesions to a doctor and probably have something prescribed to clear it up. In the meantime, do your best to avoid further scratching (I know, it's not easy) in order to avoid spreading the infection.

Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here