News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Hard, Painful, Growing Lump

r8chelliz - Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:14 pm

About a month ago, I noticed a small lump on my buttocks right under one of my "sit bones" or Ischial Tuberosity (about the size of a pencil eraser). It was not painful and I assumed it was some kind of bite or ingrown hair. About a week ago, it suddenly became very large (about the diameter of a quarter or more) and very hard. It's slightly red on the surface and very painful! Being right under the sit bone, it's hard to sit down. I have to lean one direction so as not to put as much pressure on it. I tried to pop it but it just feels like a hard, solid ball under the skin. Could it be some kind of bite that's just gotten worse or some kind of infection? I would go to the doctor but we're broke right now and don't have insurance. If it's something I should be concerned about, I guess I don't have much choice though. I can't go on with it hurting this bad. I thought it would improve throughout the week but it only seems to be getting worse. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm

User avatar Hello -

It sounds as though you've got yourself a boil in a very inconvenient location, since it gets sat on a lot out of necessity. It is also proximal to that "sit bone", meaning it cant go deeper into the surrounding tissues as it might in some other parts of the body. This makes it more painful and difficult to ignore until it either drains on its own or resolves without draining. Since it receives so much pressure and irritation it is bound to be larger than normal (and seem even larger).

Before seeking costly medical attention you might try warm sit baths and/or hat compresses (not hotter than you'd be comfortable placing on the inside of your forearm, however -- perhaps "very warm" would be a better way to put it). This and doing your best to avoid sitting on it (not an easy assignment) might help it reduce or eventually drain, which is what they usually wind up doing.

If it becomes unbearable a doctor can probably lance and drain this as well as treat it topically and perhaps give you an antibiotic to take if necessary, perhaps on a sliding scale or at a discount, if you explain your financial situation.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck with this, and please follow up here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here