Question: dry, red patch under my eyes

Sweetpea7 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:28 pm

About 3 weeks after I moved into my new apartment, I woke up with a tiny red patch of dry skin under my left eye. It has grown a bit since then, and there is now a tiny one beginning under my right eye as well. It's itchy sometimes, but mostly just red/dry. My ears will occasionally be itchy as well. I am using hydrocortisone cream to control any itching, and I keep Vasoline on the patches 24/7 to help control the dryness. But it is not going away, and it's now been 3-4 weeks. I have no known allergies, and I have not started using any new makeup or product on my face. However, this DID begin 5 days after I got 2 new kittens. BUT I have had over 15 cats in my lifetime, from different cat families, and I have never been allergic to one before. I don't have any other symptoms of cat allergies (sneezing, itchy nose, etc.). I cannot seem to figure out why this is occurring... Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While this sounds a lot like it could be eczema, the fact that it's not responded at all to hydrocortisone and moistureization makes me wonder if maybe it isn't some sort of contact dermatitis, probably not related to the kittens.

This should be looked at by a doctor who may prescribe a more potent cortisone cream or perhaps an antibiotic if it turns out to be a microbial dermatitis, possibly a staph infection (although this seems unlikely). It defintely doesn't sound allergic.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.
 Sweetpea7 - Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I had forgotten that I even posted this topic, as the dry patches have since gone away. That was back in September when I posted that, and since then, my skin has had its ups and downs with dry skin, mostly around the eyes and eyelids. I quickly learned that the water in my new town is MUCH MUCH harder than I'm used to, and it dries out my skin badly. But after being here for almost 9 months now, my skin has gotten accustomed to it, and I rarely have any "flare ups". When I do, it's usually around the same time each month (in relation to my menstrual cycle), and it's just a small dry/itchy spot near or on on my eyelid. But if I wash it with baby shampoo and keep Vasoline on it at night, even those flare ups go away after just a few days.

Thankfully I never had to see a doctor...I'm a poor graduate student, I'd rather not have to even pay a co-pay! :-p

Thanks again for the reply!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 am

User avatar You're very welcome and this is great news! Hard water is not something I would have thought of for a long time, so you've done great detective work and I'm very happy to learn you've had such good improvement. Keep up the good work!

|