Question: Intense And Sudden Itch In Bed At Night

j03 - Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:57 am

For quite a few years now I've been kept up at night by this intense itch. I drift off to sleep and am suddenly awoken by a sudden and intense itch(sometimes so intense my leg twitches). It usually is in the inside of my thigh region, or in my groin area, but mostly the inner leg. It's not a persistent itch, and has no warning signs that it's coming, just sudden like I'm being bit by something, or a static charge. As you can imagine this is a nightmare, and drives me to my wits ends(it is currently 5 50 Am - I drifted off countless times since 12, and was awoken by this each time, until i just gave up on sleep recently).

I seen the Dr and he said it was possibly an allergy, and prescribed Urimel cream. That didn't help.

My own opinion for awhile was that it was caused by static electricity. Sometimes I pull the sheet off the bed and the static charges light up. I also notice when I don't change the bed sheets for a couple days the static builds up, and the sudden itches are worse on these nights. The arid air and dry skin inhibits it, but now I'm not sure and would like any advice to help me cope with this.

I live in a very clean environment, and have one cat, but it's not allowed into my room, and I used to get this before I had him.

Could this be an allergy, or some sort of contact dermatitis? - alone or in conjunction with a static shock. Or something completely different?

Is there anything I can use, over the counter or prescription wise that could help me cope? Or somehow inhibit the itch reaction?

Thank you for your time in reading this, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:27 pm

I wonder if you are in a very dry climate. Some people have sensitive skin that dries out and itches. If you could add some humidity to the room that would also help reduce the static electricity. Use a good moisturizer such as Eucerin cream before bed at night. The cream is better than the lotion form for very dry skin.

Try wearing different clothes at night if this doesn't do the trick. Some fabrics are more prone to this type of charge than others. Cotton is better than synthetics for example. I have not heard of the static electricity actually causing itching, however.

|